Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Out of control!

http://www.888dag.com/

I was feeding Miss M in a parents' room a couple of days ago, quite enjoying the escape from the hustle and bustle of the shopping mall when a blood curdling scream, followed by some choice expletives made my heart skip a beat. A mother in the children's toilet was going off her nut at one of her children.

When they came out the little girl was dragged by her arm and had such a look of terror on her face. Mr Kiwi (who was with us at the time) and I looked at eachother in horror and hesitated. We wanted to tell the woman to chill out but at the same time felt like we couldn't. It seems such a social taboo, to interfere. I guess I wouldn't like it either if some stranger told me how to discipline my child. But this woman was out of control!

I wonder if she even realised how she sounded, and how scared her little girl was of her. It is my guess that if she loses it like that in public, she wouldn't control her feelings much better when in the privacy of her own home.

I am by no means a perfect mother, and totally understand that on some days children can make your blood boil. But us being the adults, and therefor presumably the wiser ones, we should be in control of our feelings. I think much more is achieved if you can discipline your child in a calm and resolute manner. I don't believe screaming like an out of control Banshee teaches a child to respect you and your authority.

4 comments:

888 The Av 'n Gav Show 888 said...

Makes me shudder at the thought of how she is when she is alone with her kids. Too gross to think about really

Glinda said...

This always makes me so sad. Not only is the child scared of her mother, but her mother isn't enjoying her child - what a waste.

EyeOfTheLeopard said...

On a positive note - I love your slide show. Did you take the pix?
x

pommygran8 said...

Totally totally agree-hopefully your facial expressions found their way through to her brain....