Friday, September 5, 2008

Afraid? Me?...

Several of my fellow bloggers have written about the fear they encounter in people as soon as you point a camera at them. But is an unwillingness to share yourself with the world a fear per se?


In the Macquarie Concise Dictionary it tells me that FEAR is


1. a painful feeling of impending danger, evil, trouble, etc.; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
2. a specific instance of such a feeling
3. anxiety; solicitude


(I like to look words up so I know exactly what I'm dealing with as English is my third language.)


I think that most people will agree with me that they do not feel that the camera is, in itself dangerous or evil (with the exception of those that have a phobia perhaps). So what is it about camera's that make people shy away from them?

I must say that it took me a little while to get used to it. And to stop caring whether I look good in any one particular shot. Vanity does prevail in many cases. We all like to look our best after all!


Other than the Vanity aspect (does my bum look big from this angle?) there is the issue of Privacy. Wikipedia had the following to say about Privacy which I think is quite relevant.


"Privacy is the ability of an individual or group to seclude themselves or information about themselves and thereby reveal themselves selectively. The boundaries and content of what is considered private differ among cultures and individuals, but share basic common themes.

...

Privacy can be seen as an aspect of security — one in which trade-offs between the interests of one group and another can become particularly clear."



I think that for many people I encounter, the security of themselves, and particularly their children plays a big role. It's not so much the fact that I am filming them that bothers them, but that countless strangers can view the footage. I guess it prevents one from revealing oneself selectively.



Personally, I'm not afraid. But then again I am in control of the camera and of what I write, so I can be selective about what I do and don't reveal.




http://www.888dag.com/

1 comment:

EyeOfTheLeopard said...

I believe it is fair enough to say that even I might feel hesitant if a stranger would come up to me and just started filming me. But I would overcome my vanity or fear if I would know that the intent of me being filmed is to make a difference in this world and to transform this planet into a better place. It's about time that people start to trust us and eachother.