Saturday, September 27, 2008

Love, Luck and other Learned Behaviours

Saturday

I just read a great post by Crystal Clear about luck (see link). It tied in very well with what I've been thinking lately. I've pretty much always felt lucky. Lucky to have been born in a free country, lucky to have received a great education, lucky to have a fantastic family and partner. Also lucky to have been spared great tragedies.


Of course I've had my ups and downs, but all in all things always worked out. I think a big contributing factor has been my dad, who is definitely the eternal optimist. One of his favourite sayings is; There's a solution to every problem. I believe growing up with dad's positive outlook and mum's love and protection has made me into a lucky person indeed.


Monday

I started this post on Saturday but then had to run off to go First-Birthday shopping with Mr Kiwi. We had planned this a while as we don't get that much time together. Anyway, I packed a bag with Miss M's lunch, threw in afternoon tea and dinner just in case we took long, a cardigan just in case it got cold, a book and some toys to keep her entertained, checked that we had enough nappies and wipes and off to Miranda we set.

A 40 minute drive later, we finally got a park, set up the pram, put Miss M in the pram...and realised that I'd left my handbag with my wallet at home!! Mr Kiwi always relies on me for cash and never really carries a wallet, so there we where; all ready, but no money! I was so frustrated, it's really out of character. We had a bit of a look, but the moment was spoiled, so we decided to go home and just do some stuff around the house.

I got stuck into the kitchen as we had some people coming over to visit on Sunday and I wanted to make a quiche amongst other things. I had decided on one with spinach, roast capsicum and fetta to cater for everyone including vegetarians. So, still a little cranky with myself I'm chopping away, wondering what's wrong with me, when I literally chop a slice of my right index finger off! I can tell you by this stage I was totally OVER everything.

I'll spare you the gory details but I'm off to see the doctor this afternoon as it still hasn't stopped bleeding. Everything is a challenge, especially typing, so I've been putting it off.

Anyway, to get back to the lucky thing. I guess you wonder if I still think I'm lucky? Of course I do!! I could have chopped my whole finger off for starters. This is but a small speed-hump on the road of life. And it's been a lesson too. I fancied myself quite a Jamie Oliver and have since realised that when it comes to chopping I might need a bit more practise.











Crystal Clear: luck

http://www.888dag.com/

1 comment:

TomDiggleHarry said...

Aw! What a bummer. Hope your finger is better now...It's nice to read Crystal's post and sometimes you need to be reminded. :-) May more luck come your way... x