Thursday, September 11, 2008

We are family!


As I get older, I become more and more aware how important family is.


I think when you're young you take for granted that they'll always be there. There might even have been a time where I would have rather seen the back of them, feeling that they didn't understand me. Nonsense of course, it was more that I was up to mischief and didn't want to get caught out!


I moved to Australia when I was barely 21. I was so excited at the prospect of living in Australia. Even as a young girl I knew that I wasn't going to grow old in Holland. So, when I met a dutch man who was living in Sydney, I thought it was a sign and off I went.


I never really considered at the time what that would have meant to my parents and my siblings. Mum told me later that she didn't want to see anyone for 2 weeks and that my brother was out-of-sorts for months.


But I was just busy discovering Sydney and setting up my new life. Of course I missed them! In those days the cost of a telephone call was astronomical so we spoke once a week, taking turns. My dad was always saying 'knock-off time' and Mum and I never really had enough time to catch up on the goss.


It wasn't until my dream went to shit somewhat (I got divorced) that I realised how much the love of your family means. And by this stage I am not just talking my immediate family. In the years I have been in Oz I have met some amazing people who have become my new extended family. They have cheered me up when I was down, let me astray on many wonderful adventures and supported me through different 'phases'.


And most recently my 888DAG brothers and sisters have shown such kindness and caring. And some of you I've never even met!


We ARE all one big family and it's a comfortable and cosy feeling to be part of that. The kind of family-support that allows you to be you is very special indeed and I treasure you all!


I hope you all have a magical day!




4 comments:

TomDiggleHarry said...

I know exactly what you mean. It was hard for a few years after I moved to Sydney where I felt obliged to keep trying to stay in touch with my family. We were never that "close"... So over the years, I have come to value my friends so much more, and now, they have become my family. It's the best ever! I love my "blood" family of course, but love is unconditional and that's the beauty of family.

Everapominoz said...

Family is everything. 888DAG extends an invitation to everyone to become part of the family and, as tomdiggleharry says, to experience the unconditional love that being a member of the family brings.

KMP said...

You certainly hit the nail on the head regarding extended families that aren't actually blood relations. Whilst blood relatives do seem to pull together in a crisis (I know mine have certainly done so and we hardly have a history of harmonious relations!) I find it is the love and "just being there-ness" of my friends/co-workers and the DAG network that really make a difference to my life.

Great post!

Lise said...

OH gosh!! This is exactly how I felt when I first moved to Sydney! It is great seeing many of us have been there done that!! I miss my parents and siblings but also like what TomDiggleHarry said we have a new family now as well as special friends! To be honest as we get older I think about them more!!! Is that going to make it difficult??? At a point at this time in my life with kids of my own doing so many activities it is harder to keep up those regular long visits over there but there we are!!! Can't do or have everything!! Just do what we can! x