Monday, September 8, 2008

Moment of Truth


Ok, time for a moment of truth.

I am afraid of dogs!

When I see one coming my way, I cross the road and hope that he can't smell the fear on me. I know which streets to avoid were there are particularly 'barky' and 'jumpy' types. My heart races, and I get sweaty palms. I can't help it.

I don't want to transfer this fear onto my daughter. So I bravely point out dogs to her on the street and do my best bark, much to her amusement.

The worst thing is that I don't like to admit it to dog-owners. Firstly they mostly have the same reply; Oh my dog doesn't bite/jump/bark/lick-your-face. But they invariably do. Secondly I feel like I'm a freak. 'How can you not like dogs? They are so loyal etc. etc."

My sister has two dogs. I'm ok with them as I've known them for a while now, and can more or less predict their behaviour. But don't expect me to get all cuddly with them, I just can't.

So there you have it, black on white. If anyone has any helpful hints; please, I am always open to suggestions!


http://www.888dag.com/

4 comments:

KMP said...

There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of re. admitting to a fear of dogs. They often have muddy paws, their breath usually smells, they can be bullying and overwhelming in either the noise they make or just their presence. If you were not raised with them or one has given you a fright then it is entirely understandable that you don't like them.

My suggestion would be to just accept them as part of this world we live in but don't beat yourself up for not liking them. I own 2 and have always had them around but it doesn't mean I also shouldn't be aware that not everyone is as delighted by a canine's existence as I am (secretly I actually prefer cats ... just don't tell everyone else!!)

In terms of worrying about passing on your fears to a child - I wouldn't be too concerned. I don't like eating fruit but my son likes it. Equally he finds frogs fascinating whilst I almost have a heart attack if he shows me one ... swings and roundabouts - we are all different.

I think it's great to admit to your fears anyway.

Lise said...

Everyone deals with their fears in their own ways. What you are doing is just fine otherwise just keep a distance. My fear is the dentist! Dentophobia!!Have not been for a while and have been so religious in terms of keeping them clean, flossing, rinsing and so forth so that I would not need to make an appointment!! Help!

pommygran8 said...

I think it is their unpredictability... and I would suggest if you try to breathe without tensing up it will help-a bit like childbirth! dont go out of your way to see them but dont go out of your way to avoid them either....just be you!

888 The Av 'n Gav Show 888 said...

I love dogs but can understand some one who doesnt. My neighbour was petrified of dogs and decided to get one, (as her kids really wanted a dog). She now has a small to medium sized dog and treats it like a child. One day when your baby nags you, you might be suprised, get over your fear and own a dog.