Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Do you believe in past lives?

http://www.888dag.com/

I had a little 'me'-time on the lounge with Oprah this afternoon. The show was about this professor of psychiatry who was a world-renowned expert on past-life regression.

I have always been interested in this topic, though not necessarily a believer. I would love to meet someone like this professor who could take me there, but it isn't like I've got unexplained likes or dislikes, phobias or dreams.

Anyway, the way he got some people to remember things from a past life was through hypnotherapy. Which reminded me about something that happened to me, when I saw a hypnotherapist to quit smoking.

I had always been a really bad sleeper. I hated going to bed, as I knew I would just lie awake for ages. My parents told me the story that they had to lock me in my room (on doctor's advise)when I was a child, because I just kept getting up and thus never got enough sleep.

Later in life, it all came to a head when I became a flight attendant and jet-lag became more and more an issue. I just accepted the fact that I was a bad sleeper, and thought nothing more of it. Until this experience at the hypnotherapist...

Whilst under hypnosis I remembered back to when I was very young, about 3 years of age. My Mum was in hospital again soon after my brother was born and I was staying at my uncle and aunts place. I remembered walking in their upstairs hallway, looking for my mum. Everything was dark and brown. I was very upset and of course, my mum wasn't there.

It was liberating remembering that, as I could now make sense of the situation. I could let go of that old feeling as I understood the background (my parents did not abandon me) and believe it or not, I have never again experienced problems sleeping! As a matter of fact, Mr Kiwi finds it hard to believe when I tell him that I was once an insomniac.

1 comment:

Lise said...

That is interesting! Just a small episode can disrupt your sleep pattern! I have spells but I know when I am stressed....sleep is out of the window!!!