Friday, August 8, 2008

From all the Lands on Earth we come...


Currently there is an ad on tv that uses that song 'I am, you are, we are Australian". Now I am not Australian (yet). Our Daughter is. But I am Dutch and my Other Half Kiwi. I like that song, it is very catchy. 'We are One, and we are Many, and from all the Lands on Earth we come.' It made me think that probably not many people know where exactly I come from.

I come from a town near Rotterdam called Schiedam ( pronounced; 'skhē'däm'). It is famous for two things; Dutch Gin and the worlds Tallest Windmills. There are currently about 75.000 people living in Schiedam. Two of whom are the most important in the world! My Parents.

At the beginning of this year they made the very BIG decision to move to Australia permanently. Of course I am very excited about that. It'll mean that all the things a lot of families take for granted will be possible for us after being fragmented for nearly 20 years. Christmasses, Birthdays, Weddings, but also the small things, like popping over for a cuppa, or hitting the Sales with Mum (watch out, here we come!). Of course it'll be wonderful for Miss M to grow up knowing her grandparents.

Anyway, I am diverting. What I meant to say is; next time you find yourself in Holland. Don't just go and see Amsterdam. Take the train to Schiedam and check it out. And just in case you were wondering... they have coffee-shops there too! ;)

Happy Days everyone,
*888*

888DAG.com >>>

1 comment:

Lise said...

So lucky you have your parents moving to Oz!!! Would love mine to move from the UK!!