Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Safety cannot be under-estimated

One of the big things amongst us DAGgers is Safety. It really is easily taken for granted that we live in a safe society, in safe surroundings.

Just today I realised I wasn't being 'safe' in that I was taking flu-medication that I shouldn't have, as I am still breastfeeding. Didn't even occur to me! So I cut it out immediately and thus my flu has returned with a vengence! Never mind, I rather sneeze and sniffle a couple of days longer, that exposing my little Angel to anything that might be unsafe for her.

And yesterday, while I was preparing dinner this channel 9 helicopter kept circling right above our home. I knew it wasn't bushfires, and it couldn't be a plane that went down in the ocean either as it was pointed in-land. Turns out the second floor of a home in the street behind us had collapsed while they were pouring concrete. One man died. Just like that. I am shocked, and feel so sad for the man's family. I don't know who he was, but obviously he wasn't safe.

And then the poor citizens in Georgia. They're not safe. Mother's just like myself, leaving their homes with their children to find safety...where? And why? It's a mess in this world.

I wish I had the answer. Perhaps all we can do is being aware, and sharing that awareness with the world. And thus perhaps bring change, one conversation at the time.

Be safe, always

Schatzi



888DAG.com >>>

2 comments:

EyeOfTheLeopard said...

Thanks for making me aware or like Iamatreeagain said 'I can see you'
http://iamatreeagain.blogspot.com/2008/08/dag-song-i-can-see-you.html

Lise said...

God! This is an eye opener! We do have to make the best of our lives and try to be safe at the same time. Poor guy! Lucky did not have any fatal injuries when we built our house only a couple of tennis elbows!! Grr!